+351 226 089 833
M. Teresa V. T. Lago is a Full Professor (Astronomy) of the University of Porto, School of Sciences. A graduate from the University of Porto (1971) obtained a M.Sc. (1975) and Ph.D (1979) in Astronomy at the University of Sussex (U.K.).
She was responsible for setting-up at the University of Porto
- The first Astronomy Degree in the country (1983)
- A European Interuniversity Masters Degree (1994-1998) involving six European universities
- The Astronomy Doctoral Program (2003-2010).
In 1985 she received the “Henri Chrétien Award” of the American Astronomical Society.
At the National Research Council request she authored the “National Plan for the Development of Astronomy” (1987).
In 1988 she founded the Centre for de Astrophysics at the University of Porto (CAUP) that she directed for eighteen years.
She prepared the “Proposal of Association of Portugal to ESO” (1989) and is a member of the ESO Council.
She prepared the proposal to create the Porto Planetarium/CAUP (1996) a collaboration between the Universitydo Porto, the Municipality and the Ministry for Science and Technology.
She chaired the Scientific Council for “Earth & Space Sciences” of the National Research Council (2004-05).
She is Associate of the Royal Astronomical Society (1990) and member of the Academiae Europeae (1992).
She has been member/chair of various international Advisory Boards, namely
- Governing Board of School of Cosmic Physics, Dublin Institute of Advanced Science (1995–1999)
- Counsil of the European Astronomical Society (1996-1999)
- European Comission Europeia (DGXII) (1996 – 1999)
- Space Science Advisory Committee (ESA)(2000-2003)
- Space Science and Astronomy, Academy of Sciences (Finland) (2003)
- Setting-up the new Aalto University, Helsinki (2009)
- School of Physical Sciences, Dublin City University (2010-)
- “Institute Universitaire de France” (2011-)
- “Initiatives d’Excellence”, Agence National de la Recherche (França) (2011-)
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (Alemanha) (2011-)
In 2002 she was elected Member of Parliament, as independent in the lists of the Socialist Party. For personnel reasons she has decided not to exercise the mandate.
She has been elected Member of the Porto Municipal Assembly and of the Porto Metropolitan Assembly, as independent in the list of the Socialist Party (mandate for 2009 – 2013).
She is a founding member of the Scientific Council of the European Research Council (since 2005) and chairs the “ERC Gender Balance Working Group” (2009-).
She was elected member of the Working Group drawing the new by-laws of the University of Porto (2008-2009).
She was Principal Investigator of the Stellar Astrophysics project at CAUP (1987-1999).
Main activities/interests include:
- Astronomy (young stars and early stages of stellar evolution, multi-wavelength observations and modelling)
- Education (Graduate and Pos-graduate) and Research, namely in Astronomy
- Scientific Culture
- Science Management & Science Policy
Lastest publications at IAJ. Ascenso, J. Alves, M. T. V. T. Lago, 2009,
Mass segregation in young clusters: observational biases,
Astrophysics and Space Science, 324, 113 - 119
>> AbstractJ. Ascenso, J. Alves, M. T. V. T. Lago, 2009,
No evidence of mass segregation in massive young clusters,
Astronomy and Astrophysics, 495, 147 - 155