One Research fellowship position in the field of Optical Instrumentation for Astronomy
One Fellowship Bolsa de Investigação (Doutor) for PhD degree owner is open at the FCiências.ID – Associação para a Investigação e Desenvolvimento de Ciências, for the R&D institution Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA), UID/FIS/04434/2019, with financial support provided by the FCT/MCTES through national funds (PIDDAC), under the following conditions:
1. Scientific Area: Physics Engineering / Optical Astronomical Instrumentation
2. Requirements for admission: The applicant must have completed a PhD degree. Only applications from candidates having background in Optics and Optical Instrumentation will be considered.
3. Factors preferred: Experience with Optical systems, Optical metrology, and strong background on Instrumentation development, including electronics design and control software.
4. Work plan: The successful candidate is expected to be responsible for the development of optical metrology tools and techniques dedicated to performance evaluations and study of all the relevant characteristics of optical instruments developed by the IA's Instrumentation team in several strategic projects for ESA (European Space Agency) and ESO (European Southern Observatory).The candidate will also contribute to the development of optical instrumentation in the scope of IA’s participation in several astronomical instruments, in particular of Optical Ground Support Equipment or other subsystems involving Optical, Photonics and electronics instrumentation. The candidate will be responsible for the following tasks: - Develop an optical tools to characterize and test collimated light sources in terms of power stability, radiometric uniformity and wavefront error. to be connected to a fibre feed spectrograph; Develop techiques and implement solutions for optical source power stabilization; Develop solutions for highly stabilized monitoring reference photodiodes,with noise at ppm level for long exposure times;.
5. Legislation framework: Statute of the Scientific Research Fellowship, in accordance with Law 40/2004, of 18 August, as amended and republished by Decree-Law No. 202/2012 of 27 August, and as amended by Decree-Law No. 233/2012 of 29 October and by Law No. 12/2013, of January 29, and Decree-Law No. 89/2013 of 9 July; And also by the FCT, I.P. Fellowships Regulation, in force (https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT.pdf) and FCiências.ID Fellowship Regulation, as approved on 23rd February 2017.
6. Place of work: The work will be developed at the Institute of Astrophysics and Space Sciences in the Physics Department of FCUL Campo Grande under the scientific guidance of Professor Manuel Adler Abreu.
7. Fellowship duration: This position is initially opened for 3 months and will begin on November , 2019. The fellowship contract may be renewed to more 6 months, or eventually renewed up to a total of 3 years period, in accordance with the provisions of Regulation of Research Fellowships from the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P.
8. Monthly allowance: The fellowship amounts to € 1.509,80 ,according to table values of the fellowships awarded directly by the FCT, IP. (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores).
The fellowship holder will have a personal accident insurance and, if not covered by any social protection scheme can ensure the right to social security through adherence to the voluntary social insurance scheme, pursuant to Código dos Regimes Contributivos do Sistema Previdencial de Segurança Social.
The fellowship will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
9. Selection method: Candidates will be assessed by the quality of their CV (30%)and adequacy of CV and candidate profile to the work plan (30%), motivation letter (10%) and interview in person or remote (30%). .
10. Selection Committee: Manuel Abreu (President of the jury), Alexandre Cabral and José Afonso (members) and João Coelho (alternate member)
11. Publication/notification of results: The final results of the evaluation will become public, through ordered list final grade obtained which will be posted at the entrance hall of the FCiências.ID, located at the Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, C1 bdg – 3rd floor, Campo Grande, 1749-016 Lisboa, and the selected candidate will be notified by e-mail.
12. Deadlines: This call for applications is open from 28/10/2019 to 11/11/2019 .
13. Application: Applications may be sent via e-mail to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org , by attaching the following documents: Curriculum vitae, motivation letter, degree certificate and other documents considered relevant .
NOTE: Please note that Degrees obtained in foreign countries need a Portuguese Recognition certificate issued by a Portuguese high degree Institution, according to the Decree-Law nr. 66/2018, of august 16th and the Ministerial Order nr. 33/2019, of January 25th. The presentation of such certificates is mandatory for contract signature. More information can be obtained in: https://www.dges.gov.pt/en/pagina/degree-and-diploma-recognition.