One Research fellowship positions in the field of Optical Instrumentation for Astronomy
One Fellowship Bolsa de Investigação - Licenciado for Licenciado is open at the FCiências.ID – Associação para a Investigação e Desenvolvimento de Ciências, for Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA). The positions are offered in the context of the project UID/FIS/04434/2019 with financial support provided by the FCT/MCTES through national funds (PIDDAC), under the following conditions:
1. Scientific Area: Physics Engineering / Optical Astronomical Instrumentation
2. Requirements for admission: The applicant must have completed a bachelor degree. Only applications from candidates having background in Optics and Physics will be considered.
3. Factors preferred: Experience with Optical systems, knowledge of Zemax optical design Software, LabView Instrument Control Software and experience with optical laboratorial setups.
4. Work plan: The successful candidate is expected to contribute on topics relevant to the participation of IA's Instrumentation team in several strategic projects for ESO (European Southern Observatory), namely participate in the construction of state-of-the-art instruments such as ESO-MOONS, ESO-NIRPS and ESO-HIRES. The work will be done in the field of Optics and it is expected that the candidate acquires experience in this field. For that the candidate will develop the following tasks: - Develop a preliminary model of a Solar telescope to be connected to a fibre feed spectrograph; - Develop a preliminary model of a Medium resolution fibre feed spectrograph; - Upgrade of an optical metrology system to measure the refractive index of glasses.
5. Legislation framework: Statute of the Scientific Research Fellowship, in accordance with Law 40/2004, of 18 August, as amended and republished by Decree-Law No. 202/2012 of 27 August, and as amended by Decree-Law No. 233/2012 of 29 October and by Law No. 12/2013, of January 29, and Decree-Law No. 89/2013 of 9 July; And also by the FCT, I.P. Fellowships Regulation, in force (https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT.pdf) and FCiências.ID Fellowship Regulation, as approved on 23rd February 2017.
6. Place of work: The work will be developed at the Institute of Astrophysics and Space Sciences in the Physics Department of FCUL Campo Grande under the scientific guidance of Professor Alexandre Pereira Cabral.
7. Fellowship duration: This position is initially opened for 3 months and will begin on November, 2019. The fellowship contract may be renewed to more 9 months, or eventually until the end date of the project, in accordance with the provisions of Regulation of Research Fellowships from the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P.
8. Monthly allowance: The fellowship amounts to € 752,38 according to table values of the fellowships awarded directly by the FCT, IP. (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores).
The fellowship holder will have a personal accident insurance and, if not covered by any social protection scheme can ensure the right to social security through adherence to the voluntary social insurance scheme, pursuant to Código dos Regimes Contributivos do Sistema Previdencial de Segurança Social.
The fellowship will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
9. Selection method: Candidates will be assessed by the quality of their CV 30% and adequacy of CV and candidate profile to the work plan 30% and motivation letter 10% and an interview (remote) 30% .
10. Selection Committee: Alexandre Cabral (President of the jury), Manuel Abreu and José Afonso (members) and João Coelho (alternate member)
11. Publication/notification of results: The final results of the evaluation will become public, through ordered list final grade obtained which will be posted at the entrance hall of the FCiências.ID, located at the Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, C1 bdg – 3rd floor, Campo Grande, 1749-016 Lisboa, and the selected candidate will be notified by e-mail.
12. Deadlines: This call for applications is open from 28-10-2019 to 11-11-2019.
13. Application: Applications may be sent via e-mail to Alexandre.Cabral@ciencias.ulisboa.pt , by attaching the following documents: Curriculum vitae, motivation letter, degree certificate and other documents considered relevant.
NOTE: Please note that Degrees obtained in foreign countries need a Portuguese Recognition certificate issued by a Portuguese high degree Institution, according to the Decree-Law nr. 66/2018, of august 16th and the Ministerial Order nr. 33/2019, of January 25th. The presentation of such certificates is mandatory for contract signature. More information can be obtained in: https://www.dges.gov.pt/en/pagina/degree-and-diploma-recognition.