Research fellowship in the field of Planetary Systems
The Centro de Investigação em Astronomia/Astrofísica da Universidade do Porto (CAUP)
opens a call for one research fellowship in the field of Planetary Systems
at the Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA).
The position is offered in the context of the project “Exploring exoPlanets wIth CHEOPS (EPIC)
” funded by FEDER - Fundo Europeu de Desenvolvimento Regional funds through COMPETE2020 - Programa Operacional Competitividade e Internacionalização (POCI) (reference POCI-01-0145-FEDER-028953), and by Portuguese funds through FCT - Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (reference PTDC/FIS-AST/28953/2017).
The Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA)
is the most prominent research unit in the field of Astrophysics in Portugal, integrating researchers from the University of Porto and the University of Lisbon, and is responsible for a major fraction of the national productivity in international ISI journals in this area. The research and development effort at the IA include most of the topics at the forefront of research in Astrophysics and Space Sciences, complemented by work on instrumentation and systems with potential use in Astronomy and Astrophysics.
The call is open in the field of Planetary Systems, with focus on planetary system detection and characterization research and the fellowship has to start preferentially no later than January 2021. The position has a maximum duration of 12 months (cannot be beyond the end of the project 2021/12/31).
The fellowship contract will comply with Lei nº 123/2019 de 28 de Agosto - ‘’Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação’’ in force [https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/estatutobolseiro
] and Regulamento nº 950/2019 de 16 de Dezembro de 2019 - ''Regulamento de Bolsas e Investigação da Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia'' in force [https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/regulamento.phtml.pt
According to the FCT table values [http:www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores
], the monthly allowance will be €1.074,64 (tax free) and will be paid monthly by bank transfer. The fellowship holder will have a personal accident insurance. Funds for travelling (conferences, collaborations, observing missions) are also available.
The work plan will be carried out within IA, in Porto, under the supervision of the EPIC project team members.Research work plan:
IA is strongly contributing to ESA’s CHEOPS mission, in operation since its launch in December 2019. Part of this contribution is related to the detection and characterization of planetary systems which will be targeted by CHEOPS. Our group works on different scientific aspects of this mission, including the spectroscopic characterization of planet-host stars and the detailed analysis of the CHEOPS light curves, in order to extract information such as planetary fundamental parameters, or the study of phase curves to infer proprieties of the planet’s atmosphere. The work plan of this fellowship will be directly related with IA’s contribution to CHEOPS.Application:
The application, to be submitted through the web form below, should include the following information:
- Cover letter with a brief description of the candidate's experience and motivation;
- Curriculum Vitae describing the academic curriculum and research experience (up to 4 pages with at least 10pt font size) and a separate list of the completed curricular units with the respective marks;
- MSc degree diploma or certificate (please see note 1);
- Name and contact details (position, email, address) of two referees, available to provide information about the candidate (these will be contacted at the jury's discretion).Applications will be accepted from 24 November to 9 December 2020. Selection criteria and evaluation:
The applicant must have completed a MSc degree and be enrolled in a Phd Program or comply with the requirements to be enrolled in a Phd Program. Only applications from candidates having an adequate background in Astronomy, Physics, Mathematics, or other relevant domains, will be considered.
The curricular evaluation of the candidates will be done based on:
- (10%) Cover letter with a brief description of the candidate's experience and motivation;
- (45%) CV, considering the degree and the previous academic training, including outcomes and contents of completed curricular units and the relevance of that training for the topic;
- (45%) Relevance and adequacy of previous research experience to the work plan, the priorities of the project, the team, and of IA.
An ordered list of candidates will be defined by the selection committee based on the submitted documents and the criteria mentioned above. If judged necessary, reference letters may also be asked to the aforementioned referees and will be taken into account in the evaluation process.Awarding of the contract:
Following the evaluation process the contract will be offered according to the ordering list proposed by the selection committee. The position will be granted only if suitable candidates are found. Only candidates with a minimum grade of 70% will be accepted.
The selected candidates will be notified by e-mail.
For inquires please contact Dr. Sérgio Sousa.Selection Committee:
Sérgio Sousa (chair)
Vardan Adibekyan (alternate)Notes:
1. In the event that the degree was awarded by a foreign higher education institution, that degree must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law no. 66/2018, of 16th August (approves the legal regime for the recognition of foreign higher academic degrees), and all formalities established therein must be complied with up to the date of hiring.
Applicants are advised to check the website of the Directorate-General for Higher Education (DGES) for further information: https://www.dges.gov.pt/en/pagina/degree-and-diploma-recognition
2. The fellowship holders' functions are carried out under a scheme of exclusive dedication, in accordance with the terms established in the Research Fellowship Holder's Statute (Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação). For more information, see in particular article 5 - Performing Duties [https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/estatutobolseiro
9 November 2020The period for application submission has ended for this opportunity.