Opening of call for position in the area of information technology – Call for for scientific programmer
The Centro de Investigação em Astronomia/Astrofísica da Universidade do Porto (CAUP), a private non-profit research institution of recognized public utility, intends to hire a person for the area of scientific computing/programming.
The work to be developed is part of the projects undertaken by CAUP within the scope of the scientific research unit Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA), of which it is a managing entity. The work will be centred on the development of software, for astronomical instrumentation control and data reduction and analysis, and on computer systems management.1. Entry requirements:
- Candidates should have a Bachelor or Master or Doctoral degree, preferably in the areas of Astronomy/Astrophysics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related;
- Mastery of the English language (spoken and written).
- Demonstrated experience in scientifically relevant programming languages, with preference for C/C++, Python, OpenCL/CUDA.
- Initiative and ability to develop tasks autonomously and proactively.
- Sense of confidentiality and responsibility.
- Good ccommunication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team, and good organisational and planning skills.
2. Additional optional skills and qualifications:
- Experience in a higher education institution or R&D unit;
- Experience in development using Qt;
- Experience in the areas of systems administration;
- Experience in developing software for astronomical instrumentation;
- Knowledge of Portuguese (spoken and written);3. Employment conditions:
The hiring of the selected person will be done through the signing of a fixed-term employment contract for a period of one year, potentially renewable within the legal terms. The weekly working hours will be 35 hours. The salary will be negotiable according to the training and experience demonstrated.4. Work place:
The work will be carried out at CAUP, Rua das Estrelas, in Porto. Visits and work development in the other IA nodes (Lisbon and Coimbra) and outside Portugal may be required. 5. Deadline for application:
The call is open from April 7 to May 5
May 15 2023.6. Application procedure:
Applications shall be formalised using the form below and should contain the following elements:
- Cover/motivation letter;
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae (maximum of 4 pages with font size of at least 11pt);
- Certificates of qualifications;
- Proofs of professional experience;
- Proofs of courses or internships undertaken (optional);
- List of curricular units and respective marks (optional);
- Name and contacts (position, email) of two references, available to provide information about the candidate (to contact only if the jury considers necessary);7. Composition of the Selection Board:
Jarle Brinchmann (chair)
Nuno Santos8. Non-discrimination and equal access:
CAUP promotes a policy of non-discrimination and equal access, thus no applicant candidate may be privileged, benefited, damaged or deprived of any right or exempted from any duty. This includes ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, civil status, family situation, economic situation, origin or social condition, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity or race, land of origin, language, religion, political or ideological beliefs, or trade union affiliation.Date of Publication
6 of April 2023The period for application submission has ended for this opportunity.