Two Research fellowship positions in the field of Optical Instrumentation for Astronomy
A Call for 2 research fellowships (Bolsa de Investigação – Licenciado) in the field of Optical Instrumentation for Astronomy is open at the Fundação da Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, F. P. (FFCUL), for the Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA), in the context of the project FIS/04434 with financial support provided by the FCT/MCTES through nacional funds and co-funded by FEDER under the PT2020 agreement, when applicable. This Call is open under the following conditions:
Research Fellowship #1
Research Fellowship #2
- Scientific Area: Physics Engineering / Optical Instrumentation /Optomechanical Design
- Requirements for admission: The applicant must have completed a Bachelor degree. Only applications from candidates having an adequate background in Optics and Physics or other relevant domains, will be considered.
- Factors preferred: Experience with optomechanical design and product assembly drawings
- Work plan:The successful candidate is expected to pursue research on topics relevant to the participation of IA’s Instrumentation team in several strategic projects for ESO (European Southern Observatory), namely participate in the construction of state-of-the-art instruments such as ESO-ESPRESSO and ESO-MOONS. Covered topics of work include:
- Optomechanical design using Solidworks
- Assembly of optical instruments
- Test of optical elements (transmission, wave front error, etc)
- Test of opto-mechanics mounts (repeatability, stability, etc)
- Elaboration of technical reports
- Scientific Area: Physics Engineering / Optical Instrumentation /Development of optical and photonic metrology tools
- Requirements for admission: The applicant must have completed a bachelor degree. Only applications from candidates having an adequate background in Optics and Physics or other relevant domains, will be considered.
- Factors preferred: Experience with laboratorial setups development for characterization of optic and photonic properties of specific devices.
- Work plan:The successful candidates are expected to pursue research on topics relevant to the participation of IA’s Instrumentation team in several strategic projects for ESO (European Southern Observatory), namely participate in the construction of state-of-the-art instruments such as ESO-ESPRESSO and ESO-MOONS Covered topics of work include:
- Assembly of metrology tools for characterization of optical devices, including fiber and free-space components.
- Test of optical elements (transmission, polarization characteristics, etc)
- Characterization of optical instruments
- Development of metrology tools for the alignment and test of optical instruments
- Legislation framework: The two fellowship contracts will be celebrated according to the regulations defined by FCT “Regulations for Advanced Training and Qualification of Human Resources”, in accordance with Law 40/2004, of 18 August, as amended and republished by Decree-Law No. 202/2012 of 27 August, and as amended by Decree-Law No. 233/2012 of 29 October and by Law No. 12/2013, of January 29, and Decree-Law No. 89/2013 of 9 July. And also by the FCT, I.P. Fellowships Regulation, in force (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT2015.pdf) and FFCUL’s Fellowship Regulation, as approved on 22nd December 2014.
- Place of work: The work will be developed at the Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço, in Lisbon, under the scientific guidance of one of the researchers of the IA Instrumentation Group.
- Fellowship duration: The positions are initially opened for 6 months and will begin on August 15th 2016. The fellowship contract may be renewed up to 12 months, in accordance with the provisions of Regulation of Research Fellowships from the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P. The fellowship renewal is pending on a favourable interim evaluation of the project FIS/04434.
- Monthly allowance: The fellowship amounts to € 745,00, according to table values of the fellowships awarded directly by the FCT, IP. (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores). The fellowship holders will have a personal accident insurance and, if not covered by any social protection scheme can ensure the right to social security through adherence to the voluntary social insurance scheme, pursuant to Código dos Regimes Contributivos do Sistema Previdencial de Segurança Social. The fellowship will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
- Selection method: Candidates for both fellowships will be assessed, on a first stage, by the quality of their CV, including degrees, marks and contents of curricular units completed (50%), relevance and success of previous research and laboratorial experience (40%) and Cover Letter (10%). If needed (to be decided by the selection committee), candidates may be required to attend an interview to clarify any doubts. The contracts will then be offered according to the ordering proposed by the selection committee.
- Selection Committee: Alexandre Pereira Cabral (Chair), Manuel Adler Abreu, João Pinto Coelho.
- Publication/notification of results: The final results of the evaluation will become public, through ordered list final grade obtained which will be posted at the entrance hall of the Fundação da Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, located at the Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, C1 bdg – 3rd floor, Campo Grande, 1749-016 Lisboa, and the selected candidate will be notified by e-mail.
- Deadlines: This call for applications is open from July 3rd, 2016 to July 17th, 2016
- Application: Applications may be submitted through this webpage, should include the following documents: Cover letter indicating the reference of the fellowship of application (#1 or #2), with a brief description of the candidate's experience and motivation; Curriculum Vitae (up to 4 pages) including, if available, a complete list of scientific publications (up to 1 additional page); A complete list of academic courses (University level) previously followed, and respective grades. Documents can be sent in Portuguese or English.
Publication DateThe period for application submission has ended for this opportunity.
20 June 2016