FCT - Individual Call to Scientific Employment Stimulus 2017 (up to 6 years)
Ref: IA2017-18-CTTCThe Institute of Astrophysics and Space Sciences (IA) welcomes pre-applications to the FCT - Stimulus to Individual Scientific Employment 2017 call
The Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT
) has issued a call for research contracts, in the context of the Stimulus to Scientific Employment
which will be open from 19th January until the 16th February 2018, 17:00 (Portuguese time)
. The positions are for up to 6 years. The gross monthly income corresponds to the salary of a Junior Researcher (level 33 - 2.128,34€), Assistant Researcher (index 195 - 3.191,82€), Principal Researcher (index 220 - 3.601,03€) or Coordinating Researcher (index 285 - 4.664,97€), depending on the profile of the candidate. The selection is done by FCT. Each candidate will have to select and have the support from a host institution in Portugal.
The Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA) welcomes pre-applications until 1st February 2018. The institute cannot guarantee the required scientific and administrative support for any pre-applications received after that date.
IA is the reference institution for this area in Portugal, integrating researchers from the University of Porto and the University of Lisbon, and is responsible for a major fraction of the national productivity in international ISI journals in this area. The research and development effort at the IA includes most of the topics at the forefront of research in Astrophysics and Space Sciences, complemented by work on instrumentation and systems with potential use in Astronomy and Astrophysics.
IA activities are structured around three Research Groups:
- Origin and Evolution of Stars and Planets
- Galaxies, Cosmology, and the Evolution of the Universe
- Instrumentation and Systems
and five Thematic Lines:
- Towards the detection and characterization of other Earths
- Towards a comprehensive study of stars
- The assembly history of galaxies resolved in space and time
- Unveiling the dynamics of the Universe
- Space and Ground Systems and Technologies
It is considered strategically important for IA to be optimally placed to contribute to the development and exploitation of large projects within the European Space Agency (ESA) and the European Southern Observatory (ESO), besides other international initiatives.
The pre-applications should include:
- cover letter with a brief description of the candidate's motivation and an indication of the category he/she is appyling, the geographical location (either Porto or Lisbon, or both) where the research work will be carried out, as well as the name of at least one scientific collaborator in IA (if collaborations already exist);
- curriculum vitae (up to 4 pages);
- complete list of publications;
- brief summary of the research project;
- name and contact of up two referees available to provide information about the candidate (to be contacted if necessary).
Each proposal will be reviewed on arrival by a selection committee composed of the board of directors, the group and the thematic line leaders. Following a positive outcome of the pre-selection the candidate may proceed with the submission of her/his application to FCT, with the support of IA.
All applications must follow the FCT regulations.
For inquires please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The period for application submission has ended for this opportunity.
29th of December, 2017