Research fellowship position in the field of Star Formation
The Centro de Investigação em Astronomia/Astrofísica da Universidade do Porto (CAUP)
opens a call for one research fellowship (Bolsa de Investigação - Mestre)
in the field of Star Formation at the Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA).
The position is offered in the context of the project "Zoom-In ON hIgh-mass Star forMation (ZIONISM)
" with financial support provided by the FCT (refª IF/00956/2015/CP1273/CT0002).
The Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA)
assembles more than two-thirds of all active researchers working in Space Sciences in Portugal, and is responsible for an even greater fraction of the national productivity in international ISI journals in this area. The research and development effort at the IA includes most of the topics at the forefront of research in Astrophysics and Space Sciences, complemented by work on instrumentation and systems with potential use in Astronomy and Astrophysics.
The call is open in the field of Star Formation, and has a fix duration of 3 months
and should started preferably by 1st January 2019.
The fellowship contract will comply with the Lei nº 40/2004 de 18 de Agosto (Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação
) and ''Regulamento de Bolsas e Investigação da Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia
'' in force (http://fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT.pdf).
According to the FCT table values (http:www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores
), the monthly allowance will be €980 (tax free) and will be paid monthly by bank transfer. The fellowships holders will have a personal accident insurance. Funds for traveling (conferences, collaborations, observing missions) are also available.
The work plan is to be carried out in IA, in Porto, under the supervision of Dr. Nanda Kumar.Research work plan:
The applicant will have to analyze the photometric light curves from the VISTA-VVV ESO public survey, to conduct an analysis of the variability properties of the young high-mass stellar candidates associated with maser sources. A good back in astronomy, knowledge of being able to code in python, and astronomical software such as iraf, starlink, idl are desired.Application:
The application, to be submitted through the web form below, should include the following information:
- Cover letter with a brief description of the candidate's experience and motivation;
- Curriculum Vitae (up to 4 pages in 10pt size format at minimum), and a list of the grades for the taken classes and a scan of the MSc degree diploma;
- Name and contact details (position, email, address) of two referees, available to provide information about the candidate (to be contacted if considered necessary to clarify the information provided in the remaining documents).Applications will be accepted from the 15th to 28th November, 2018.Selection criteria and evaluation:
The applicant must have completed a MSc degree. Only applications from candidates having an adequate background in Astronomy, Physics, Mathematics, or other relevant domains, will be considered.
The curricular evaluation of the candidates will be done based on:
- (10%) Cover letter with a brief description of the candidate's experience and motivation;
- (30%) CV, including degrees, marks and contents of curricular units completed;
- (30%) Relevance and adequacy of previous research experience and research plan to the priorities of the team and of IA;
- (30%) Relevance of the capacity to execute the project goals as stated in the work plan.
An ordered list of candidates will be defined by the selection committee based on the submitted documents and the criteria mentioned above. Reference letters may also be asked to the external referees and will be taken into account.Awarding of the contract:
Following the evaluation process the contracts will be offered according to the ordering list proposed by the selection committee. The positions will be granted only if suitable candidates are found. Only candidates with a minimum grade of 60% will be accepted. The selected candidates will be notified by e-mail.
For inquires please contact Dr. Nanda Kumar
.Selection Committee:Nanda Kumar
(chair)Mário João MonteiroJorge Filipe GameiroPedro Palmeirim
(substitute option)Publication Date:
30th October 2018Submit application