Research fellowship for a postdoc in the field of Star Formation and Early Evolution
The Centro de Investigação em Astronomia/Astrofísica da Universidade do Porto (CAUP)
opens a call for one research fellowship for a postdoc (Bolsa de Investigação - Doutor) in the field of star formation and early evolution at the Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA).
The position is offered in the context of the project UID/FIS/04434/2019
with financial support provided by the FCT
/MCTES through national funds (PIDDAC).
The Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA)
is the most prominent research unit in the field of Astrophysics in Portugal, integrating researchers from the University of Porto and the University of Lisbon, and is responsible for a major fraction of the national productivity in international ISI journals in this area. The research and development effort at the IA includes most of the topics at the forefront of research in Astrophysics and Space Sciences, complemented by work on instrumentation and systems with potential use in Astronomy and Astrophysics.
The call is open in the field of star formation and early evolution and the fellowship is to be started preferably in February 2019. The fellowship has a duration of 12 months. The fellowship renewal will depend on the evaluation of the work done and on a favorable evaluation of the research unit FIS/04434 (to be completed in 2019).
The fellowship contract will comply with the Lei nº 40/2004 de 18 de Agosto (Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação
) and ''Regulamento de Bolsas e Investigação da Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia
'' in force (http://fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT.pdf).
According to the FCT table values (http:www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores
), the monthly allowance will be €1495 (tax free) and will be paid monthly by bank transfer. The fellowships holders will have a personal accident insurance. Funds for traveling (conferences, collaborations, observing missions) are also available.
The work plan is to be carried out in IA, in Porto, under the supervision of a member from the thematic line on ''Towards a comprehensive study of stars
''.Research work plan:
The selected candidate will be integrated in the activities and scientific objectives of the thematic line "Towards a comprehensive study of stars
" of IA. The researcher is expected to contribute to the activities and support the strategy of the thematic line. Specific expertise and research experience in one of the following lines is required:
- Interferometric observations in the mm/sub-mm/radio range (e.g. ALMA, VLA, IRAM PdB, SMA) and/or optical/NIR (e.g. VLT);
- Radiative Transfer models in the context of interstellar medium and YSOs;
- Circumstellar disks and star-disk interaction: simulations and/or observations. Application:
The application, to be submitted through the web form below, should include the following information:
- Cover letter with an outline of the work plan for the position;
- Curriculum Vitae (up to 4 pages), together with a complete list of scientific publications and a brief description (up to 3 lines) of the candidate's contribution to her/his main publications (up to 5) and a scan of the PhD degree diploma;
- Name and contact details (position, email, address) of two referees, available to provide information about the candidate (these will be contacted at the jury's discretion).Applications will be accepted from the 26th December 2018 to 13th January 2019.Selection criteria and evaluation:
The applicant must have completed a PhD degree. Only applications from candidates having an adequate background in Astronomy, Physics, Mathematics, or other relevant domains, will be considered.
The admitted applications will be evaluated taking into consideration the quality, up-to-dateness and relevance of the scientific and curricular path of the candidate and respective adequacy to the specific topics of this call, namely:
- (10%) presentation letter with an outline of the work to be done that is a relevant contribution to the team at IA;
- (50%) CV, including: academic degrees; scientific produtivity; indicators of scientific independence; outreach;
- (40%) relevance and success of previous research experience in any of the specific topcis of the call in the last 5 years, with emphasis on the quality, international impact and recognition, tools produced, observational/simulations experience, etc.
An ordered list of candidates will be defined by the selection committee based on the submitted documents and the criteria mentioned above. If judged necessary, reference letters may also be asked to the aforementioned referees and will be taken into account in the evaluation process.Awarding of the contract:
Following the evaluation process the contracts will be offered according to the ordering list proposed by the selection committee. The positions will be granted only if suitable candidates are found. Only candidates with a minimum grade of 70% will be considered for hiring.
The selected candidates will be notified by e-mail.
For inquires please contact Dr. Jorge Filipe Gameiro
.Selection Committee:Jorge Filipe Gameiro
(chair)João Lin YunJoão LimaNanda KumarPublication Date:
10th December 2018The period for application submission has ended for this opportunity.