One post-doctoral research fellowship position in the field of Cosmology and the evolution of the Universe
A Call for for 1 (one) post-doctoral research fellowship (Bolsa de pós-doutoramento) in the field “Unveiling the Dynamics of the Universe” is open at the Fundação da Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, F. P. (FFCUL), for the Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA), in the context of the project FIS/04434 with financial support provided by the FCT/MEC through nacional funds and co-funded by FEDER under the PT2020 agreement, when applicable. This Call is open under the following conditions:
- Scientific Area: Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Requirements for admission: The applicant must have completed a doctoral degree.
- Work plan: The successful candidate is expected to pursue research on topics relevant to the long-term strategy of IA in the thematic line “Unveiling the Dynamics of the Universe”, including topics on:
- The theoretical modeling of early and late-time cosmological scenarios and the study of their potential impact on the observational properties of the Universe;
- The assessment of the performance of competing cosmological paradigms using available and simulated data, including type Ia supernovae, quasar spectra, galaxy clustering, galaxy cluster abundances, cosmic microwave background and weak lensing observations.
- Legislation framework: A fellowship contract will be celebrated according to the regulations defined by FCT “Regulations for Advanced Training and Qualification of Human Resources”, in accordance with Law 40/2004, of 18 August, as amended and republished by Decree-Law No. 202/2012 of 27 August, and as amended by Decree-Law No. 233/2012 of 29 October and by Law No. 12/2013, of January 29, and Decree-Law No. 89/2013 of 9 July. And also by the FCT, I.P. Fellowships Regulation, in force and FFCUL’s Fellowship Regulation, as approved on 22nd December 2014.
- Place of work: The work will be developed at the Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço, in Lisbon and/or Porto, under the scientific guidance of one of the researchers of the respective IA Thematic Line.
- Fellowship duration: The positions are initially opened for 6 months and will begin on the 1st of November 2015 (and the latest 1st of April). The fellowship contract may be renewed up to 42 months, in accordance with the provisions of Regulation of Research Fellowships from the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P. The fellowship renewal is pending on a favourable interim evaluation of the project FIS/04434.
- Monthly allowance: The fellowship amounts to € 1495,00, according to table values of the fellowships awarded directly by the FCT, IP.
The fellowship holder will have a personal accident insurance and, if not covered by any social protection scheme can ensure the right to social security through adherence to the voluntary social insurance scheme, pursuant to Código dos Regimes Contributivos do Sistema Previdencial de Segurança Social.
The fellowship will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
- Selection method: Candidates will be assessed, on a first stage, by the quality of their CV (60%), relevance and success of previous research experience (30%) and Cover Letter (10%). A short-list of candidates will be defined based on the submitted documents and the criteria mentioned above. The short-listed applicants will be required to attend an interview for the second stage of the evaluation (by teleconference or videoconference if needed). The final grade will be obtained by averaging the result of the first stage evaluation with the interview (equal weights). The contracts will then be offered according to the ordering proposed by the selection committee.
- Selection Committee: Francisco Lobo (Chair), José Pedro Mimoso, Nelson Nunes, Pedro Avelino, José Afonso, Ismael Tereno.
- Publication/notification of results: The final results of the evaluation will become public, through ordered list final grade obtained which will be posted at the entrance hall of the Fundação da Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, located at the Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, C1 bdg – 3rd floor, Campo Grande, 1749-016 Lisboa, and the selected candidate will be notified by e-mail.
- Deadlines: This call for applications is open from August 13th, 2015 to September 15th, 2015
- Application: Applications may be submitted through this webpage, and should include the following documents: Cover letter with a brief description of the candidate's experience and motivation; Curriculum Vitae (up to 4 pages) including, if available, a complete list of scientific publications (up to 1 additional page); A complete list of academic courses (University level) previously followed, and respective grades; Name and contact details (position, email, address) of two referees, available to provide information about the candidate (to be contacted if considered necessary to clarify the information provided in the remaining documents).
Applications from persons with disabilities will receive equal consideration to the extent their disabilities do not prevent them from performing the defined work tasks.
Publication dateThe period for application submission has ended for this opportunity.
31 July 2015