Up to two Research fellowship positions in the field of galaxy formation and evolution
A Call for up-to 2 research fellowships (Bolsa de Investigação – Licenciado) in the field of galaxy formation and evolution is open at the Fundação da Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, F. P. (FFCUL), for the Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA), in the context of the project “Towards very high-redshift radio galaxies in the reionisation epoch using ALMA”, PTDC/FIS-AST/2194/2012, financed by national funds by FCT / MEC (PIDDAC) under the Programme in All Scientific Domains under the following conditions:
- Scientific Area: Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Requirements for admission: Graduation in Astronomy, Physics, Mathematics, or other relevant domains.
- Factors preferred: Experience with astronomical data processing software and in programming languages (eg: IDL, Fortran).
- Work plan: The successful candidate will participate in the selection and study of distant radio galaxies research, potentially at the Epoch of Reionization. The selection will use data from some of the deepest and most recent radio and infrared surveys. The study of the selected galaxies at optical, infrared and millimetre data will be used, from observations with the Hubble, Spitzer and Herschel Space Telescopes, as well as from the APEX telescope.
- Legislation framework: A fellowship contract will be celebrated according to the regulations defined by FCT “Regulations for Advanced Training and Qualification of Human Resources”, in accordance with Law 40/2004, of 18 August, as amended and republished by Decree-Law No. 202/2012 of 27 August, and as amended by Decree-Law No. 233/2012 of 29 October and by Law No. 12/2013, of January 29, and Decree-Law No. 89/2013 of 9 July. And also by the FCT, I.P. Fellowships Regulation, in force (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT2015.pdf) and FFCUL’s Fellowship Regulation, as approved on 22nd December 2014.
- Place of work: The work will be developed at the Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço, in Lisbon, under the scientific guidance of the PI of the project, Dr. José Afonso.
- Fellowship duration: The positions are initially opened for 3 months and will begin starting from January 2016. The fellowship contract may be renewed up to 5 months and 12 days , in accordance with the provisions of Regulation of Research Fellowships from the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P., and limited by the end of the project (30 June 2016).
- Monthly allowance: The fellowship amounts to € 745,00, according to table values of the fellowships awarded directly by the FCT, IP. (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores).
The fellowship holder will have a personal accident insurance and, if not covered by any social protection scheme can ensure the right to social security through adherence to the voluntary social insurance scheme, pursuant to Código dos Regimes Contributivos do Sistema Previdencial de Segurança Social.
The fellowship will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
- Selection method: Candidates will be assessed, on a first stage, by the quality of their CV, including degrees, marks and contents of curricular units completed (50%), evaluation of relevant practical and theoretical knowledge (40%) and Cover Letter (10%). The selection committee may decide on the need to have an interview for a second stage of evaluation (by teleconference or videoconference if needed). In that case, the final grade will be obtained by averaging the result of the first stage evaluation with the interview (equal weights). The contracts will be offered according to the final ordering proposed by the selection committee.
- Selection Committee: José Manuel Afonso (Chair), Polychronis Papaderos, David Sobral.
- Publication/notification of results: The final results of the evaluation will become public, through ordered list final grade obtained which will be posted at the entrance hall of the FFCUL, located at the Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, C1 bdg – 3rd floor, Campo Grande, 1749-016 Lisboa, and the selected candidate will be notified by e-mail.
- Deadlines: This call for applications is open from January 4th, 2016 to January 15th, 2016.
- Application: Applications may be submitted through the webpage http://www.iastro.pt/ia/jobDetails.html?ID=21, should include the following documents: Cover letter with a brief description of the candidate's experience and motivation; Curriculum Vitae (up to 4 pages) including, if available, a complete list of scientific publications (up to 1 additional page); A complete list of academic courses (University level) previously followed, and respective grades; Name and contact details (position, email, address) of two referees, available to provide information about the candidate (to be contacted if considered necessary to clarify the information provided in the remaining documents).
Applications from persons with disabilities will receive equal consideration to the extent their disabilities do not prevent them from performing the defined work tasks.
Publication dateThe period for application submission has ended for this opportunity.
16 December 2015