Two Postdoctoral fellowship position
A Call for up-to 2 postdoctoral research fellowships (Bolsa de pós doutoramento) in the field of solar system atmospheres is open at the Fundação da Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, F. P. (FFCUL), for the Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA), in the context of the strategic project FIS/04434 (POCI-01-0145-FEDER-007672), under the following conditions:
The period for application submission has ended for this opportunity.
- Scientific Area: Astronomy and Astrophysics.
- Requirements for admission: PhD in Astronomy, with demonstrated expertise in the field of solar system atmospheres.
- Factors preferred: The candidate is expected to contribute to the strategic goals of IA in the context of solar system atmosphere studies. These include i) the exploration of data from Venus Express to investigate the dynamics of the middle and lower atmosphere of Venus, combining orbital data with simultaneous ground-based observations (CFHT, VLT, ALMA), ii) the characterization of variable motions (waves and polar vortices) in super-rotating atmospheres, both theoretically and with general circulation modeling (short and long term); iii) to use solar system planets as archetypes of exoplanets (atmospheres, composition, and suitability for life);.
- Work plan: The successful candidate is expected to be able to help create in IA a competitive team in the field of solar system atmospheres, with enphasis on the subjects mentioned in the previous item.
- Legislation framework: A fellowship contract will be celebrated according to the regulations defined by FCT “Regulations for Advanced Training and Qualification of Human Resources”, in accordance with Law 40/2004, of 18 August, as amended and republished by Decree-Law No. 202/2012 of 27 August, and as amended by Decree-Law No. 233/2012 of 29 October and by Law No. 12/2013, of January 29, and Decree-Law No. 89/2013 of 9 July; And also by the FCT, I.P. Fellowships Regulation, in force (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT2015.pdf) and FFCUL’s Fellowship Regulation, as approved on 22nd December 2014.
- Place of work: The work will be developed at the Lisbon’s node of the Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço, under the scientific guidance of the thematic line leader. Collaborations and visits to the Porto node of IA, in the context of collaboration within the team, are welcome.
- Fellowship duration: The fellowships are to be started at the 1st of July 2016, and no later than the 1st of October 2016. The contract must be renewed after the first year based on the outcome of the work done and the delivered activity report. The fellowship contract may be renewed up to the end of 2017 (date of the end of the funding project), in accordance with the provisions of Regulation of Research Fellowships from the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P., but will be extended for up to 2 years if the project is renewed after that date. The successful candidate may be supported to apply for longer term positions.
- Monthly allowance: The fellowship amounts to € 1.495,00, according to table values of the fellowships awarded directly by the FCT, IP. (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores).
The fellowship holder will have a personal accident insurance and, if not covered by any social protection scheme can ensure the right to social security through adherence to the voluntary social insurance scheme, pursuant to Código dos Regimes Contributivos do Sistema Previdencial de Segurança Social.
The fellowship will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
(add, where applicable, other financial components, periodicity and method of payment of fellowship (fellowships)).
- Selection method: A short-list of candidates will be defined in the first stage of the evaluation based on the submitted documents and the criteria mentioned above. Candidates will be assessed based on the delivered Cover letter (10%), CV, considering the publications and the applicants’ contribution to them (60%), and the relevance and adequacy of previous research experience and research plan to the priorities of the team and of IA (40%). The selection committee may decide on the need to have an interview for a second stage of evaluation (by teleconference or videoconference if needed). In that case, the final grade will be obtained by averaging the result of the first stage evaluation with the interview (equal weights). The contracts will be offered according to the final ordering proposed by the selection committee. The positions will be granted only if suitable candidates are found (at least with a minimum of 60% in the first step and a minimum of 80% after the second step).
- Selection Committee: José Manuel Afonso (head of the institute), Nuno C. Santos (line leader), Sérgio G. Sousa, Pedro Figueira, Margarida Cunha.
- Publication/notification of results: The final results of the evaluation will become public, through ordered list final grade obtained which will be posted at the entrance hall of the FFCUL, located at the Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, C1 bdg – 3rd floor, Campo Grande, 1749-016 Lisboa, and the selected candidate will be notified by e-mail.
- Deadlines: This call for applications is open from 29 of April to 19 of May of 2016.
- Application: Applications may be submitted through this webpage, and should include the following documents: Cover letter with a brief description of the candidate's experience and motivation; a brief research plan and research objectives for the next 3 years (max. 2 pages); Curriculum Vitae (up to 4 pages); a complete list of scientific publications (in additional pages); Name and contact details (position, email, address) of two referees, available to provide information about the candidate (to be contacted if considered necessary to clarify the information provided in the remaining documents).
Applications from persons with disabilities will receive equal consideration to the extent their disabilities do not prevent them from performing the defined work tasks.