One Postdoctoral fellowship in the field of galaxy formation and evolution
One postdoctoral fellowship in the field of galaxy formation and evolution is open at the Fundação da Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, F.P.
(FFCUL), for the Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA), in the context of the strategic project FIS/04434 with financial support provided by FCT/MCTES through national funds and by FEDER through COMPETE2020 and PT2020 agreement (POCI-01-0145-FEDER-007672) under the following conditions:
The period for application submission has ended for this opportunity.
- Scientific Area: Astronomy and Astrophysics.
- Requirements for admission: The applicant must have completed a PhD degree in Astronomy, Physics or similar. The applicant must have a substantial experience with the processing and analysis of data from radio telescope arrays, in particular with ALMA, and knowledge of programming with the Common Astronomy Software Applications package.
- Factors preferred: Experience in programming languages (eg: IDL, Fortran).
- Work plan: The successful candidate will participate in the development of an automated pipeline for the exploitation of the ALMA archive, tuned for research in galaxy evolution. The activities will be performed under the auspices of the Portuguese ALMA Centre of Expertise.
- Legislation framework: A fellowship contract will be celebrated according to the regulations defined by FCT “Regulations for Advanced Training and Qualification of Human Resources”, in accordance with Law 40/2004, of 18 August, as amended and republished by Decree-Law No. 202/2012 of 27 August, and as amended by Decree-Law No. 233/2012 of 29 October and by Law No. 12/2013, of January 29, and Decree-Law No. 89/2013 of 9 July; And also by the FCT, I.P. Fellowships Regulation, in force (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT.pdf) and FFCUL’s Fellowship Regulation, as approved on 22nd December 2014.
- Place of work: The work will be developed at the Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço, in Lisbon, under the scientific guidance of Dr. José Afonso.
- Fellowship duration: This position is initially opened for 3 months and will begin on October 2016. The fellowship contract may be renewed to more 3 months, in accordance with the provisions of Regulation of Research Fellowships from the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P.
- Monthly allowance: The fellowship amounts to € 1495,00, according to table values of the fellowships awarded directly by the FCT, IP. (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores).
The fellowship holder will have a personal accident insurance and, if not covered by any social protection scheme can ensure the right to social security through adherence to the voluntary social insurance scheme, pursuant to Código dos Regimes Contributivos do Sistema Previdencial de Segurança Social.
The fellowship will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
- Selection method: Candidates will be assessed on a first stage, by the quality of their CV, including the relevance of their past research experience (60%), relevance of their publications (30%) and Cover Letter (10%). The selection committee may decide on the need to have an interview for a second stage of evaluation (by teleconference or videoconference if needed). In that case, the final grade will be obtained by averaging the result of the first stage evaluation with the interview (equal weights). The contracts will be offered according to the final ordering proposed by the selection committee.
- Selection Committee: José Manuel Afonso (Chair), Polychronis Papaderos, Cirino Pappalardo.
- Publication/notification of results: The final results of the evaluation will become public, through ordered list final grade obtained which will be posted at the entrance hall of the FFCUL, located at the Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, C1 bdg – 3rd floor, Campo Grande, 1749-016 Lisboa, and the selected candidate will be notified by e-mail.
- Deadlines: This call for applications is open from 21 of September to 4 of October.
- Application: Applications may be submitted through the form bellow , and should include the following documents:
- Cover letter with a brief description of the candidate's experience and motivation;
- Curriculum Vitae (up to 4 pages) including, if available, a complete list of scientific publications (up to 1 additional page);
- Name and contact details (position, email, address) of two referees, available to provide information about the candidate (to be contacted if considered necessary to clarify the information provided in the remaining documents).
Applications from persons with disabilities will receive equal consideration to the extent their disabilities do not prevent them from performing the defined work tasks.