Three research fellowships (BSc) in galaxy formation and evolution
Ref: FCUL/Ref. RF-BSC-XGAL
Three Research Fellowships are opened with Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, in the project “From the first galaxies to today’s Milky Way: Measuring and Understanding 13 billion years of evolution (XGAL)”, IF/01154/2012/CP0189/CT0010, financed by national funds by FCT / MEC (PIDDAC) under the FCT Investigator Start-up Grant at the Institute of Astrophysics and Space Sciences (IA).
- Scientific Area: Astronomy and Astrophysics (Galaxy Formation and Evolution)
- Requirements for admission: B.Sc. in Physics/Astronomy, Astrophysics, Computer Science or related areas. Relevant experience in extragalactic astrophysics will be greatly valued, but not necessary.
- Work plan: One of the fellows will lead the XGAL website, including uploading all the results from the international team, catalogues and further improving the link to the general public, but will also be fully involved with the science and in the science discussions. The other two fellows will primarily work on the analysis of world-leading and revolutionary wide field H-alpha and/or Lyman-alpha surveys recently conducted, obtaining clean catalogues of emitters over a few square degrees of extragalactic sky and help with the clustering analysis. The fellows will also measure spectral lines (from VIMOS/VLT data) and be directly involved in writing refereed papers and telescope proposals. Observing runs to La Palma, Chile or Hawaii may be possible (to obtain new data for the project/team). The research fellows will be fully integrated in the XGAL team (and part of the broader IA Galaxies group – thus working visits to IA-CAUP are also possible), will participate in weekly group meetings and discussions and make significant contributions towards advancing our understanding of how galaxies such as our Milky Way formed and evolved over 13 billion years. Candidates are strongly encouraged to discuss the work plan with David Sobral (email@example.com).
- Legislation framework: Law No. 40/2004, of August 18th, as amended and republished by Decree-Law No. 202/2012 of August 27th, by Decree-Law No. 233/2012 of October 29th, by Law No. 12/2013, of January 29th, and by Decree-Law No. 89/2013 of July 9th and Lisbon University Fellowships Regulation, published by Order (extract) No. 6984/2014 of May 28th.
- Place of work: The work will be developed at the IA - Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Observatório Astronómico de Lisboa, under the scientific guidance of Doctor David Sobral. The fellow will have a desk and a dedicated computer.
- Fellowship duration: These positions are opened for 3 months (renewable for 1 month) and will begin on September 1st, 2015.
- Monthly allowance: The fellowship amounts to € 745.00, according to Lisbon University Fellowships Regulation. The scholarship will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
- Selection criteria: Candidates will be assessed based on (50%): i) research projects during Bsc; ii) Motivation letter; iii) CV and previous experience and (50%) skype interview.
- Selection Committee: Dr. David Sobral (President), MSc. Ana Afonso (1st effective member), Dr. Hugo Messias (2nd effective member), Dr. Rui Agostinho (1st alternate member) and Dr. José Afonso (2nd alternate member).
- Publication/notification of results: The final results of the evaluation will become public, through a final grade ordered list which will be posted at the entrance hall of Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, C4 bdg, Campo Grande, 1749-016 Lisboa. All applicants will be notified of the results of the evaluation to the email address used for sending the respective application, or by post to the applicant’s address.
- Deadlines: This call for applications is open from July 8th, 2015 to July 21st, 2015.
- Application: Applications may be sent via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject “RF-BSc-XGAL”, by attaching the following documents:
- In the case of being Portuguese citizen, copy of identification document (ID card or citizen card);
- In the case of not being Portuguese citizen, copy of identification document (ID card or passport ) as well as residence authorization, permanent residence authorization or long-term resident status, if applicable;
- If you agree to be notified for your post address, please send obligatorily the declaration annexed to this Notice;
- Certificates of qualifications of all obtained academic degrees, with the final ranking;
- Curriculum Vitae, detailed and updated, stating obligatorily the full candidate's address;
- Document of employment status, indicating the nature of the bond and functions; this document can be replaced by a declaration under honour commitment if there is any professional activity or the provision of services;
- Cover letter;
- Optionally, letters of recommendation.
8 July 2015