Research fellowship position in the field of Cosmology
The Centro de Investigação em Astronomia/Astrofísica da Universidade do Porto (CAUP)
opens a call for one Research Fellowship (Bolsa de Investigação - Mestre)
in the field of cosmology at the Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA).
The position is offered in the context of the project "Probing cosmic strings and other topological defects with gravitational waves - GWstrings
", funded by FEDER - Fundo Europeu de Desenvolvimento Regional through COMPETE2020 - Programa Operacional Competitividade e Internacionalização (POCI), and by Portuguese funds through FCT - Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia
in the framework of the project POCI-01-0145-FEDER-031938.
The Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA)
is the most prominent research unit in the field of Astrophysics in Portugal, integrating researchers from the University of Porto and the University of Lisbon, and is responsible for a major fraction of the national productivity in international ISI journals in this area. The research and development effort at the IA includes most of the topics at the forefront of research in astrophysics and space sciences, complemented by work on instrumentation and systems with potential use in astronomy and astrophysics.
The position has an initial duration of one year
which can be renewed until the end of the project (14/10/2021), pending a favourable evaluation of the performance in the first year. The fellowship should start during January/February 2019
The fellowship contract will comply with the Lei nº 40/2004 de 18 de Agosto (Estatutodo Bolseiro de Investigação
) and ''Regulamento de Bolsas e Investigação da Fundaçãopara a Ciência e a Tecnologia
'' in force (http://fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT.pdf).
According to the FCT table values (http:www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores
), the monthly allowance will be €980 (tax free) and will be paid monthly by bank transfer. The fellowships holders will have a personal accident insurance. Funds for traveling (conferences, collaborations, observing trips) are also available.
The work plan is to be carried out in IA, in Porto offices, under the supervision of a member of the project indicated above. Research work plan
The successful candidate is expected to pursue research on topics relevant to the project “Probing cosmic strings and other topological defects with gravitational waves”. The main objective of this project is to accurately characterize the gravitational wave signatures generated by topological defects, and to forecast the ability of LISA to probe different cosmic defect models.Application
The application, to be submitted through the web form below, should include the following information:
- cover letter with a brief description of the candidate's experience and motivation;
- Curriculum Vitae (up to 4 pages, in 10pt size format and single line spacing at minimum), including a list of the course grades and a brief description of any previous research experience, as well as a scan of the MSc degree diploma;
- name and contact details (position, email, address) of two referees, available to provide information about the candidate (to be contacted if considered necessary to clarify the information provided in the remaining documents).Applications will be accepted from the 15th November to 31st December, 2018.Selection criteria and evaluation
The curricular evaluation of the candidates will be done based on:
- (10%) cover letter;
- (50%) CV, including degrees, marks, and contents of curricular units completed;
- (20%) relevance and adequacy of previous research experience to the priorities of the work plan;
- (20%) interview, for candidates that score a minimum of 60/80 in the evaluation of the criteria above.
The applicant must have completed a MSc degree. Only applications from candidates having an adequate background in Astronomy, Physics, Mathematics, or other relevant domains, will be considered.Awarding of the contract
Following the evaluation process the contracts will be offered according to the ordered list resulting from the selection committee. The positions will be granted only if a suitable candidate are found (with a minimum of 70% in the evaluation). The selected candidate will be notified by e-mail.
For inquires please contact Dr. Lara Sousa
.Selection CommitteeLara Sousa
(chair)Pedro Pina AvelinoDiego Rubiera-GarciaNelson Nunes
30th October 2018Submit application